Friday, July 9, 2010

Day Moon process

So I thought for this week I'd show my entire process for a painting from start to finish..

Here is the first step.. coming up with the idea and planning it out in a thumbnail..
inspiration for this was a few different things like counterstike, metal gear solid, and I just really like the sky/clouds/moon :P


The next step is drawing it out on the board. In this case, its illustration board with a pre-coat of gesso.




For this piece I'll be using acrylic paint. After I have enough info from the drawing, I go over it with a thin layer of color. this gives me my base color and texture, and leaves just the important pencils..


Next it's time for the values. here I chose a dark blue to hit all the important shadows throughout the piece.


And from here, we move on to color, just going right over everything else.
Sorry theres no in between stages of the color.. once I get going with this its hard to stop :P


and thats about it. from here I take a photo or scan it to my computer and color correct it as close to the original as possible.
Total time spent: 7 hours

No comments: